Wednesday 19 August 2015

All That I Know Now: Life Events and Lessons Learned

I'm back!!!

After six+ weeks of being laptop-less, I have eventually been able to borrow one and write on here again, and it feels SO good. 

I'm not going to lie, the past six+ weeks have been tough. I've felt pretty lost without writing my weekly posts, but I am incredibly grateful for what the time away from my screen has given me. 

My boyfriend (now fiance) and I got to spend an enormous amount of time together and grew closer in ways I couldn't have imagined. He got down on one knee and proposed to me on July 29th. This was no shock as it was all we talked about for the week leading up to it, but it was a really special moment for us all the same. I couldn't be happier.

I also took a trip to New York, which was incredible and actually turned out to be a great opportunity for personal development. After spending years of my life dreaming of moving to the big US of A, this trip made me realise just how wonderful the UK is (yes, I really am writing this- pinch me), and that although I still want to travel all around America, and the rest of the world, I would actually like to explore more of the country that I call home. I now have dreams of moving to a cute seaside town in Cornwall in the very near future. 

As well as getting engaged, and travelling to New York, I have now moved back home and living with my parents again. After two great years of complete independence, it can be a little challenging at times, but I am so grateful for all the opportunities this experience is providing me with. 

Over the past six+ weeks, I really have discovered the pleasure of enjoying the little things in life.

It's funny, but during the entire trip to New York, the moment I recall feeling at my happiest is when we had just got back to our hostel after a long, tiring day of sightseeing and I slumped onto my bed with a peppermint tea from Starbucks and a bar of dark chocolate in hand, and I just relaxed. Bliss. 

Don't get me wrong, I was incredibly happy sightseeing and getting lost in New York, but I really do find the most happiness from the simplest things. Whether it's sitting in the conservatory at home with a cup of tea listening to the rain splashing against the roof, or lying on my bed indulging myself in a good book, or simply finding joy in doing the washing up (it is possible). 

So if there are any words of wisdom to share with you from my time away, it is that the present moment is really all we have. And that actually, happiness is found when we take a second to look around, appreciate and find joy in the simple things. 

I am so happy to be back. 

Feel free to share and leave comments. 

All my love, 

Beth. 



4 comments:

  1. As a blogger, I can totally relate to the happy feeling of writing again, but I'm glad you got a long break (and I wish sometimes I could do that too). I've never been to NY but I can honestly say that the city life isnt for me lol. You got it right when you said happiness is in the small things. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! New York was beautiful, but I've definitely realized I'm not one for the city life either lol. Thank you Randi, I love your blog!

      Delete
  2. Yay, glad to see you back in this space! Congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete